Monday, April 28, 2008

Just A Turn For The Better

Children give us such joy. A dear friend reminded me of that today. I have felt a lot of dark pressure lately to go along with my usual leftover teen angst. Yeah, it's lasted THAT long.

A smile, a scribble, a laugh . . . a cry. These are the little things that save me from the little deaths that press in upon me every day of my life. Small hands upon my face as I come to the realization that they are there and have been for some time. Like a natural part of me. A little body snuggled in close to my chest as I feel my heartbeat sync with theirs. It is intoxicating when you let it take you away. They love us unconditionally; a constant reminder of how we should treat one another in the adult world. And when we slip and fall and treat them as adults, we need to step back and realize what we are doing. Making them grow up before they need to. The time for worry of things in the grown-up world will claim them soon enough. For now, they need to be treated with the love and attention a child craves from their parents. They understand little else when it comes to relating to the world around them. The paternal affirmation and affection.

Thank the Lord for their example. We need to pay heed.

No comments: