Monday, April 21, 2008

Just Monday Dribbling

The week is upon us all. The weekend and it's happenings have passed, leaving only the week ahead and it's potentials lying before us. The potentials for good and bad. I have had much to ponder on the bad side from last week. The great comfort I receive from learning of various tragedies in friends lives are the fact that mine seem so minuscule compared to theirs. And they are. I also know that our own tragedies are hard for us to bear at times . . . they are important because they affect us as adversely just as they are able to affect us positively when put side by side with the problems of others. Compare financial woes that are remedied by just being patient and rational with having to face your own death. It's not even close. Compare having car troubles with having to stay with your mom during the final weeks of her life, watching her die from cancer. Not even close. I am taking these bits of news that I have been receiving over the course of the last few weeks and realizing that it is important for me to take stock of my 'sufferings' and do penance by them. I have so much to be thankful for . . . and yet I am looking at myself at times as though I am the world's most tragic figure. Which is thoroughly laughable.

I am in love with all of my friends to some degree or the other and my heart is breaking for a number of them currently. But I have no time for a broken heart for myself. My heart is strong and has plenty of places to crack with the sadness of others . . . and for others. My feelings are only a part of what I owe them and to the whole of humanity. For my allotment of tragedy has been very small in my 42 years . . . and for this I am truly thankful to God. I just pray that the latter part of my life is not filled with it. I fear I am ill-equipped to deal with it. But I will do as I must. As others must . . . and do.

No comments: